Jul 13, 2009

Bad Rat or Bad Rap?


We bought a rat today. It’s quite interesting how these creatures have received such an unfair assessment over the years. You see it all the time in the cartoons. The rat is portrayed as an evil beast ready to spread disease to humans and kill and/or bully the cute little mouse who happens to be the hero of the story. This myth that rats are reprehensible rodents is so prevalent that it made its way into the ranks of our colloquial metaphors: I smell a rat! Dirty Rat! Etc. The fact is though that rats are not very smelly or dirty. Indeed, they are far less fetid than ferrets, and I've heard they are the least odorous of the other small pets as well (mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc). As far as their disposition goes, they are quite gentle and easy to handle. In fact, they are much less apt to bite than gerbils or hamsters, and they actually like to be held and petted. I know the pink hairless tail is a turn off for some, but it eventually grows on you. And shouldn’t the rat be allowed this one aesthetic aberration? After all, I’m acquainted with dogs (two min pins to be exact) that resemble rats, yet lack the endearing qualities of silence and sanity. Yet, nary an instance have I heard anyone say She's Crazy as a Min Pin or Shut your Min Pin mouth! I for one will take the pink hairless tail, to the cacophony those impish hounds produce on a daily basis. So can’t we let the bad press be a thing of the past for these oft misunderstood muroids? For how many more years must the medieval memoirs of the bubonic plague harangue the happy plight of the rat, I ask? Let it go already!

5 comments:

  1. ironically, michael jackson was a big fan of rats, and even wrote a song about one he was most fond of named Ben.

    Ben, the two of us need look no more
    We both found what we were looking for
    With a friend to call my own
    I'll never be alone
    And you, my friend, will see
    You've got a friend in me
    (you've got a friend in me)

    Ben, you're always running here and there
    You feel you're not wanted anywhere
    If you ever look behind
    And don't like what you find
    There's one thing you should know
    You've got a place to go
    (you've got a place to go)

    I used to say "I" and "me"
    Now it's "us", now it's "we"
    I used to say "I" and "me"
    Now it's "us", now it's "we"
    Ben, most people would turn you away
    I don't listen to a word they say
    They don't see you as I do
    I wish they would try to
    I'm sure they'd think again
    If they had a friend like Ben
    (a friend) Like Ben
    (like Ben) Like Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is suspect... where in the song does it indicate Ben is, in fact, a rat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_for_the_song_Ben_by_Michael_Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i wasn't entirely correct. it was apparently made for a movie. MJ may have never even owned a rat.

    ReplyDelete