May 5, 2010

dragonfly dreamworld

If you've frequented my blog at all, you'll know that I've been frequenting a spot about a mile from my house. It's where I go to pray, meditate or otherwise just enjoy the natural beauty of Florida. The drgonfly in the picture here is one of the natural species of these particular woods. You see them everywhere. But a few weeks ago, I saw a few of them in the little area where I often spend time. As I looked around I noticed that two of them were on a leaf in front of me mating. The rather remarkable thing about their mating practice is the fact that their bodies make the shape of a heart when they're together. I was fascinated and watched as immediately after they were done, the female (I presume), laid her eggs at the edge of the creek just out reach of the current. She used her apendage to lay them and then move them as she saw fit. The male stayed on a leaf directly above her. At one point he chased off an incoming dragonfly that came close to the female as she messed with her eggs. It was quite something to witness, I must say.

About a week later I went back to the same spot and found that there were about a dozen of these same species of dragonflies. I brought a camera that time and got the photo above. A few days ago I went again (unfortunately without a camera). This time there were a good 20 of them, and I sat observing them for about 45 minutes. My time waiting and observing paid off greatly. I was able to watch 3 different mating sessions from start to finish, and three different egg layings. The dragonflies seemed to be in somewhat of a mating frenzy and didn't mind my presnece at all. When I arrived I found two of them already in the act of mating as I had seem before. But soon others also began. I managed to figure out when they were about to engage by observing the three sessions that played in a similar fashion. The female (I believe) flaps her wings frantically, almost like a hummingbird until she's right in front of the male she chooses. She seems to glimmer and shine as she hovers right in front of him for a few seconds. Then she attaches her appendage to his neck and he curls his around to her thorax area, thus making the heart shape togehter. They mate for about a minute and then the female heads for the water to lay the eggs.

Amazing as this expereince was, it wasn't over with my observation. As I started to get up to leave, I placed my hand on a rock and a different species of dragonfly landed on me. It stayed for about twenty minutes just sitting there, or when it left, it did so for only a couple seconds and then came back. It was quite a remarkable experience - numinous even.

No comments:

Post a Comment