Sep 20, 2009

Rest

Genesis 2:2 “and he (God) rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.”

The creation account in the bible portrays God as a six day worker and hence, a Sabbath keeper. Last week I worked straight through the weekend. I had no choice it seemed. The work had to be done. This week, I was able to take off most of today. By take off, I mean really take it off. I gave very little thought, as I was at church, biking, grilling out, to the work of the upcoming week. And you know what? Life felt right again. I’m not a big proponent of living for the weekend. All that means is that you’re in the wrong job. But the stark contrast between one week without a weekend, and another with at least a day off demonstrated to me the pragmatic side of Sabbath. Granted there’s a holy side to it too, I believe. A day set aside to worship God in community should be the center of the show as opposed to just part of the package. But wisdom and worship seem to coincide when it comes to this Sabbath principle. Reconnection with God leads to refreshment and refreshment leads to reconnection with your sphere of the world for the rest of the week.

2 comments:

  1. I strongly disagree with the "you’re in the wrong job" wise crack. Some people simply work to live, rather than to live to work. Don't be jealous of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. isnt it time to stop resting and start writing?

    ReplyDelete