Jul 2, 2009

Scaredy Cat?



We have three outdoor cats... all black. Noah, the youngest, biggest and dumbest is my cat. I've had him since he could fit in the palm of my hand. Someone found him abandoned in the street on a hot summer day. Perhaps the heat stunted his IQ, because it sure didn't stunt his growth. He's a lummox of a cat who's deathly afraid of thunderstorms and the yard company. At times, he gets so scared that he busts through the screen on our porch to take solace from the lightning or the lawnmower. He also let's the other two smaller female cats push him out of the way at the food bowl. After being rudely butted in line, he'll go and lie down on the patio and patiently wait his turn (that is unless I'm out there -- the girl cats know he eats first if I'm around). With all of his cowardly quirks, however, when it comes to a very important matter, Noah is braver than most men.

I was sitting outside on the patio the other day when I notice him sneaking up on something I couldn't see on the other side of the porch. Whenver he gets in that mode, it's extremely fun to scare him with a clap of the hands or some other loud noise. I didn't miss the opportunity. He jumped, I laughed, and then he wandered off to do his normal cat duties (nap or eat), or so I supposed. Minutes later, the distinct sound of slithering got my attention about 3 yards away. A four foot long water mocassin sailed through the grass with Noah hot on his trail. I ran quickly to get the rake, and then came back out into the yard where Noah and the snake had stopped. I yelled out for Noah to move, which he did, and then I took a lame swing at the serpent who resumed his trek straight into the woods behind our house.

Yes, Noah is what you'd call a scaredy cat when it comes to storms and lawnmowers, but his feline instincts and curiosity allowed him to ferret a deadly snake out of our yard. He may not have survived a battle with the beast, but I guarantee you he would have given it a go had I not been there to stop him.

It makes me think how at times the cowardice of one coincides with the courage of another.

1 comment:

  1. i like the cut of his jib. (gives self chills with corny expression)

    ReplyDelete