Jul 31, 2009

Maggots and Confrontation Procrastination


My neighbor hasn’t taken out his trash in a couple weeks now. There must be some rotting meat oozing just under the lid, because the air is rancid and thick with flies out back now. I went to throw some trash in our bin this morning when I met the maggots. Apparently, they built a little maggot bridge and made their way into our garbage now too. We went through a similar ordeal a couple months ago when our neighbor decided to casually toss some fish remains out back. A few days later when it became unbearable to even step out on the porch, we both took the garbage to a nearby retention pond to dispose of the fish skin and entrails and disinfect the trash bin. My stomach turns just thinking about the nefarious odor that proceeded from that trash, and the sickly sight of that rotting, maggot-infested fish. The burden of what I must do tomorrow is sitting heavy on me. There are few things in life that I hate worse than maggots... although, confrontation may be one of them. Don’t get me wrong, I do it on a regular basis. The nature of my job demands it. But I don’t like it. And when it gets to be too much, every once in a while, I’ll procrastinate. But delaying the inevitable conflict is somewhat similar to avoiding the stench of maggoty meat – it only gets worse with time.

2 comments:

  1. does confrontation get easier the more you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it does, but when there is much to do, it tends to weigh heavy on me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete