Jul 18, 2009

following fire trucks and riding in the rain


I decided to go for a bike ride today out to Old Time Pottery to pick up some incense. As I pedaled, fire trucks passed me with their lights flashing and sirens blaring. I followed them for a while, and it crossed my mind as I did so that had I taken a car I wouldn’t have bothered to give chase. I observed with a condescending countenance the woman who had pulled her vehicle off the road to wait for the passing parade as I pedaled with ferocity to keep up with the fire engines. While riding, I reflected on how driving is overrated. Yes, it gets us from point A to point B quickly, but what about the journey? What about the freedom to follow fire trucks? What about my prerogative to pursue a new found path, an unexplored trail, a different route? What about….what…about… the rain? Just then, I found myself in the middle of a thunderstorm. (On a side note, given the conditions, I availed myself of my recent approbation {see “a topless teaching”} concerning the covering of my torso…seriously, it’s not about vanity!) . Quickly I remembered there were other reasons for riding in cars. Rain pelted me for minutes until I could make it to an industrial park and take cover under a narrow overhang. Eventually I ventured out again when the rain diminished, but this time, in spite of my soggy shoes and socks, I enjoyed the shower. I thought about how outside of getting “stuck” in the rain I would never intentionally experience it. And why? Because comfort is such a commodity, and propriety dictates showers happen indoors. Well I say confound commodity and piss on propriety! Enjoy the voyage. After all, whether we know it or not, point A and point B are illusions anyway – we’re always on a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment